Monday, April 23, 2012

Picking Heaven's Flowers for the Journey

Jared, JJ, Susie and Abby Alleman ::
Serving with International High School Ministry through Cru in Budapest, Hungary

The Beginnings of Spring have been especially significant for us this year. Shortly before Spring sprung we found out we were expecting our third child. Shortly after Spring officially came, we reached our monthly support goal and JUST TODAY we found out that our special gift need is met!! All paving the way for our New Beginnings in Budapest, Hungary and our long-term missions' assignment there.

And all of these signs of new life, of hopes realized, of dreams coming true are beautiful and inspiring and extremely humbling. Who am I to take such a part in the work of God in the world? To be called to a missionary life few will ever experience? To walk through doors into high school classrooms on the other side of the world that ONLY the hand of Heaven could open?

Beginnings are exciting, humbling and when they have been walked in step with the will of God, they are nothing short of a myriad of miracles. This has certainly been our experience as we have seen the LORD continually remove mountains of obstacles to make a way for our little family to take this step.

But Beginnings are also scary, even terrifying, and they are most definitely bittersweet. To say 'hello' to a new life means saying 'goodbye' to a life, ministry and friends we love. It means new relationships with other missionaries that now are maintained from places around the world. And it means a painful separation from our families as we move thousands of miles and an ocean away from them.

And Beginnings require our everything. They ask for our hearts to be unreserved in new relationships. Those a good God has been preparing as dear friends and surrogate family. They ask us to die to the old comforts of a way of life and what was our community so that this new life is unencumbered by expectations and the bitterness that comes when they are not met. And none of this is easy.

Whether we are moving to another country or another ministry assignment or church in a neighboring town, we all experience these soul growing pains to make room for new life. It is a part of the calling we have received and we as women and ministry wives feel it all acutely. We are the ones who think about the whole picture and wonder how the kids will transition, will they find good friends? Will we find good friends? What strains will our marriage face? The list of unknowns is unending and the swell of grief severe.

So this is when we need to pick Heaven's flowers.

As wives who partner in ministry with our husbands, it is necessary for us to embrace the inevitable heart and life transitions of our journey. And Heaven's flowers are those promises that come to live in us in new ways with each dying to the old in order for the new to come.

All who love Him are on the journey Home and we share forever in unending bliss and joy and basking in the Glory of this One Great Love. We serve a God who knows the end from the beginning and loves us in, above and through all things and is so gracious to call us to a life of surrender. And He promises that we receive manifold in return for every loved one we let go of living close to in the here and now so that we might follow Him.

And so in these days where less than two weeks separate me from this BIG MOVE, I am gathering many bouquets of Heaven's flowers. When the sadness of seemingly unending goodbyes threatens to swallow me whole, I pick up the joy of that beautiful last time together, the sweetness of that prayer and always the brilliance of the Beauty found fully in the hope of Heaven.

It is only then that I am well on the path to begin the new with a full, open and trusting heart.

What about you?  Has God been preparing you for Beginnings? How is your heart right now? Are you finding Heaven's Flowers?  I am praying for you all as we walk this road together.


I am Abigail Alleman and I share my heart and this journey overseas and mostly, what it is to love God with everything and fight for that love at my blog, Fan the Flame. I will be sharing more about this new life in Budapest in the coming weeks and months and beyond and I also share about our family's journey and life and times at my other blog Abby Avenue.  


Special thanks to Carla and Monique for this wonderful community! I count it a privilege to be a part of this and think you are both amazing, godly women and I am so blessed to know you!

12 comments:

  1. I love you Abby and I cannot wait for you to get here.... I miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge praise! Just today your special gift need met. I am in awe of His mighty work in your lives. I am so excited for you. what really pierced me here was this: "And Beginnings require our everything. " This is what I am feeling right now, friend, with the small groups, the retreat. And so I will remember to gather Heaven's flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying for you Jen...no matter what the Beginnings are, this is true. Heaven's flowers for you, I think, are your own heart for the eternal, praying/dreaming that way and leaving the results to Him...ONE DAY that PERFECT FOREVER you will see all He is doing in these days:}

      Delete
  3. What inspiring words you brought us here, sweet Abby! I am so excited for you and this journey God has you on. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your life and the wonderful truths God is teaching you along the journey! You're a blessing. No doubt many will be blessed by the call of God on you and your family in Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monique:} And for the chance to be a part of the Garden. I trust your ministry & life are going well & your heart is finding Heaven's flowers:}

      Delete
  4. So blessed to read how you are doing - and that your special needs goal has been met! Thinking of you with love and prayers ... and also so thankful for blogging, so that we can continue to hear from you even when you are in Hungary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! When I can hopefully get back into reading and be better in touch with you! My blog friends are finding out first about the special needs goal {it was Saturday, when I wrote the post!} We didn't send out the e-mail yet b/c we were waiting to hopefully receive our final approval and send the whole she-bang out together:}

      Delete
  5. Abby, your words and your journey have truly blessed me. Thanks for sharing with us. I can't wait to hear your testimonies from across the ocean in Hungary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! It will be great to keep in touch and in the Garden loop:}

      Delete
  6. "...Heaven's flowers are those promises that come to live in us in new ways with each dying to the old in order for the new to come."

    Wow. That is beautiful, Abby. Oh, how I am praying blessings in the new for you! Sending a big bouquet of heaven's flowers for your send off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You keep encouraging me about the depth of what I am learning...I think you are right...so, so thankful for the privilege to walk such a journey:}

      Delete
  7. Oh my friend, Abby. It's time. It is time.

    Watching you prepare for this journey has encouraged me in so many ways. Thank you for sharing your life with us and for those who haven't even met you yet.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Tell us what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...