Monday, August 13, 2012

Believing in Hope, Against all Hope

By Monique Zackery


Romans chapter 4 has been screaming at me lately [in a good way].

Abraham’s example of faith speaks volumes. This was a man who had been given a promise from God—the promise of a son and descendants so numerous they would outnumber the stars. But, literally, years passed by before he saw evidence of its fulfillment. 

I can clearly see how easy it would have been to lose faith as the weeks, months and years rolled by, without any sign of a child. Talk about a lesson in patience! Imagine the type of doubts that could have wandered around Abraham’s mind…

“This is impossible.”
“My wife’s womb is dead!”
“I’m nearly dead myself!”
“So many years have passed. God must have forgotten about me.”
“Maybe I’ve done something wrong and now the promise won’t come.”
“Maybe I never heard from God in the first place. Did I just think I heard His voice?”

All of these would have been natural thoughts, the types of doubts I’m sure we all have from time to time. What’s astonishing to me, however, is Abraham’s display of faith; his clear trust in God no matter how often the circumstances yelled, “It’s impossible!” Let’s go to the text, shall we?

Romans 4:18-22 says, “Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him… Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old –and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. This is why ‘it was credited to him as righteousness.’” (Emphasis mine)

Now that’s some faith!

Everything in his circumstances pointed Abraham to the fact that this promise was nearly impossible to fulfill. He stood against all hope. But he knew his God, and the character of his God. He knew that what is impossible with man is possible with Him.

Where to find this faith…
I have found myself wondering how in the world to get faith like that. The kind where I can believe in hope, “against all hope.”  I'm learning that believing God is a choice. But I’ve also realized that faith is a fruit of the Spirit [as is patience]. Faith is not a natural part of my flesh that I can just conjure up on my own. It's a gift from God. So when I stand against all hope, like I have lately--knowing that I have been sealed with the Spirit--I ask God to fan the flame of the Holy Spirit in me and bear the fruit of faith in me because I cannot do it on my own. 

Have you been waiting on a promise lately? 

One promise I’ve been trying to hold on to in faith is this simple proclamation from our Lord: “Those who hope in me will not be disappointed” (Isaiah 49:23).

There are hundreds of promises from God to us throughout scripture. Regardless of any obstacle standing against you, let us be "fully persuaded" that God can do what He says He can do. Keep a tight grip on those promises, even when you’re tempted to throw in the towel or take matters into your own hands. Go ahead and stand firm in your hope, even against all hope. Our God is still able. Keep trusting, my sister, keep trusting!

Sincerely,

Monique

___________________________
Monique is a Northern California Pastor's wife. When she isn't glueing her fingers together in a D.I.Y. project, you can find her worshiping God through music and everyday life.  Above all, she desires to be an arrow, pointing others to Jesus. To learn more about Monique, you can visit her family ministry blog at www.TheZackerys.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Tell us what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...